Monday, August 18, 2008

I Thought I Was Dying!

Okay, maybe the title of this post is just a bit melodramatic but there were a few days when I thought it was true! Thursday afternoon I was out watering in the garden when I felt a slight throbbing begin behind my left eye. It steadily grew throughout the day into a sharp throbbing/stabbing behind the left eye and behind the brow. I didn't sleep a wink that night and went to the clinic Friday morning (my doctor was on vacation--of course!)

The doctor at the clinic didn't see anything unusual and prescribed (without my asking first--always ask so you don't waste your time!) ibuprofen. Now, I LOVE ibuprofen for muscle pain and for those special few days each month but it does NOTHING for my head. I met a friend for lunch and my head seemed to be a bit better. By Saturday it was brutal. I really should have gone to the ER but I was being a hero and thought I could suck it in until Monday. By Sunday I was in horrible pain and wanted nothing more than to rip off my head. It was as though someone were pushing my left eye from behind and he had a friend that was stabbing with glee at the brow!

I spoke to my cousin who has suffered from migraines for more than 20 years. She thought that I was describing classic symptoms of migraine (although my vision was fine, the light didn't bother it, etc.) She very forcefully made me promise her that I would go to the hospital if it stayed bad or got worse. My mother had bought Excedrin for migraines (only found in the States) and it helped much more than the Sudafed and I slept 5 hours Sunday night.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my mother is an armchair diagnoser (is that a word?) She has a binder with clippings and she had a section devoted to various kinds of headaches, what their symptoms are, treatment and so forth. Actually, it was good to see this because we could rule out certain things. "Probably not a tumour" she said after reading the scariest ones first. "It's not a tumour!" (remember that line from Arnold in "Kindergarten Cop"?) We settled on sinusitis, migraines, or cluster headaches. But, it also could be the precursor to an aneurysm. "What?!?!" My cousin, in telling me to go the hospital, reminded me of a girl from highschool who had complained of severe headaches, got a pat on the shoulder from her doctor and a prescription for Tylenol and was dead from an aneurysm 3 days later.

Okay, no fooling. My mother brought me to the ER (I couldn't get in to see my doctor until Tuesday at 1:00) There weren't very many people there and I don't think I waited more than a half hour before a nurse took me in and asked various questions. Based on what I told her, she was pretty sure it sounded like sinuses. The ER doctor ordered XRays to be sure and there was fluid at the brow, at the right sinus and in both ears. I was also running a small temperature.

So, long story short, I got a prescription for antibiotics, nasonex and will continue to use my OTC drugs for the pain. I feel so much better already. I didn't think I'd even be able to stare at the computer for a minute let alone post. If you're feeling something out of the ordinary DON'T WAIT--go get yourself checked out right away. This story has another good point to it. The nurse in admitting weighed me and I'm down 1.5 (later checked this at home and it was true!) Something good from being sick and not excercising at least eh?

THANKS FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL COMMENTS ON LAST WEEK'S POST. I WILL GET TO EVERYONE THIS WEEK BUT RIGHT NOW, THE PAIN IS COMING ON JUST A WEE BIT. So, bear with me!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Manuela! The sickest I have ever been in my life was with sinusitis. And it looked not too bad on my x-rays. I could not stop vomiting and had to carry a bucket with me when I went to the ER. I can't remember what it was called but they attached something to my hand (hepa-lock?) so that I could have intravenous treatments and I had to go back and forth from the hospital twice a day. That finally got the pain and the nausea under control. Yuck! I sympathize with you!

Take One Stripper Pole said...

Oh please do not die ... that would suck! :) Sorry you are feeling blue ... hope you are better soon. Hugs!

Donna B said...

Hope you are feeling better today! I haven't had many problems with sinuses, but I heard they can be very painful. Relax and take care of yourself! Congrats on the weight loss!

Lora said...

Sounds like one fierce headache! Glad you went to the ER. It's always better safe than sorry!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I do the "armchair diagnostics" but instead I am on every Internet site looking for my symptoms. I think I have had botulism, diabetes, kidney failure, lol.

BTW, congrats on the 25lb loss. Sorry, I haven't commented more around here.

Chrissie said...

Glad you got checked out and taken care of. Hope you will be back to your self in no time. Good job on the loss as well. Keep up the good work.

Donnalouise said...

Sending you healthy vibes! Head troubles are nothing to take lightly. Take care!

RunningNan said...

AWWW.. I hope you feel better soon!

Pattie said...

Ouch!! Sinus infections are horrible, so I'm glad you finally bit the bullet and got treatment.

PLEASE take good care of yourself. You're too important to all of us not to!

Be well, my friend.

JC said...

Sinustitis can just knock you for a loop. Take care of yourself. Congrats on the loss. Grace and blessings to you.

RunningNan said...

My other class ends earlier.. thankfully... I registered 3 months ago, and these were all that were available for evenings. It will take me 10 years to get a 2 year degree! ha ha

Grace Acres said...

I am so glad you are feeling a bit better and hope it continues to a speedy recovery. God bless.

Anonymous said...

So glad you're better! Sometimes it's good not to be so brave & check things out! Congrats on the loss!

Brooke Lorren said...

I'm glad you found out what it was so you could have something done about it. Hope you're feeling better.

kikimonster said...

My Canadian cousins vacation here in the states, and they crack me up when they told me that they stock up on Excedrin for Migraines. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Lynn said...

I am so glad that you are going to be okay. That sounds like it was scary for you. I was diagnosed with a possible brain tumor once and rushed over to the hospital for a brain scan, a spinal tap and all sorts of other medical torture. I was out of work for TWO weeks. And guess what!? I had a sinus infection. I can relate to your suffering. Get better soon!

grammy said...

Hi, I am a new visitor. Had to keep reading to find out what was wrong. Poor thing. Take all your medicine. I thought it was so funny that your mom has a notebook with information on whatever might be ailing you (O:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Ouch! I swear I felt a sympathy throb from your description! Hope you continue to mend quickly!

Irish Mom said...

I am so glad you are feeling better!!

Take care and drink lots of fluids!!

**HUGS**

Anonymous said...

Hope you are on the mend by now. Headache's can be scary things - I used to get cluster headaches and they always made me very nervous.

I know what you meant a few posts back about getting bored with weightloss posts...sometimes I just get sick of myself. :) I keep thinking that I'm becoming obsessive about weight loss and fitness and health but then I worry about NOT paying enough attention and backsliding. Guess it all comes down to balance, eh?

ptg said...

Ugh...I also suffer from migraines and when your sinuses kick in it's even worse!

Let me know if you want a few sinus pressure reliever techniques. They work really well for the majority of my patients and might help you as well. ;o)

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Rebeca said...

Oh no! That sounds awful, I've had migraines aplenty but that sounds worse :( I hope you're feeling better and and resting up!!!

Take care of yourself!

pointing the weigh said...

Awwww...(((HUGS))) pains in the head are awful things.

When I was reading your blog I too thought it could be a migraine (I suffer with Migraines)but even if it had been a migraine because you hadn't suffered with migraines before then it would have still been right to get it checked out.

I also suffer with Sinus trouble (I'm not a hypochondriac....teehee) and that ain't fun by any means, pains all over the head area i.e. gums, head, glue ear etc etc My doctor told me that two types of people usually get glue ear, the young ones or the oldies.....ummm I wonder which category I come under....teehee

The main thing is, you have it diagnosed and are being treated and you can only get better now!!!

Look after yourself
Hugs xx

MB said...

I'm so glad they were able to diagnose you properly and you should be feeling better with the antibiotics and pain meds. Take it easy and get well.