Tuesday, July 8, 2008

July Goals


Well, all the fireworks and BBQ's are over. How did everybody do? I'm glad that I'm down .5--not much but I'll take it as I did treat myself a few too many times to certain naughty foodstuffs (my friend had some yummy goodies at her July 4th BBQ and Saturday was lunch at a favourite Chinese restaurant). BUT, no guilt! I'm not going to pretend that I don't enjoy food especially when it's good quality things (homemade, nothing beats it!) It's all about the right choices and staying within your limits. Have a piece of cake, some ice cream whatever you're favourite treat is and savour it. Remember--you're in control and you don't have to go for that second or third helping!

So, I've been thinking about what I'd like to achieve this month. In the weight department, I'd like to lose half of what's left until I reach my goal. That's 6.5 lbs. and totally within my reach. I have got to get my butt out to the gym more often and start swimming. I talk and talk but now is the time for some action! I'd love to get over the 4 mile running hump but I'm not too concerned about it after getting some pointers from Nan. It's all about finding your groove as so many bloggers have been talking about this month.

I started that 100 pushups challenge and can I tell you all OUCH? This morning I'm feeling it in my upper arms and abs which, I suppose, is a good thing! But, I'm going to be trying the modified ones on Wednesday and see how those go for me and build up gradually. That's what it's all about--working within your limits and realizing that it's not a bad thing to start at a lower level. From little acorns grow mighty oaks!

I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend and that you're not too sunburned! My garden is in lily heaven this month and the picture I posted was taken after a rainstorm. I have been thinking that I'll be posting Tuesday's about weightloss and exercise and then Thursday's will be miscellaneous (ie. gardening, lifestyle, etc.) I want to set up a routine for my time before I go back to school and that will be part of it. Also, ORGANIZING! For me, that is way more challenging right now then losing 13.5 lbs!

22 comments:

Brightcetera said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend.
It isn't realistic to think we'll never have treats, I agree.
The lilies are gorgeous!

Ready Maid said...

My friend, do you realize how much you've grown in this journey? I hear it in the maturing voice of your posts. I sense the confidence growing in you, and I see the sparkle in your text.

Thanks for being such a kind and supportive HUC cohort.

And enjoy your week!

Irish Mom said...

Sounds like a great plan!!

You are so right in the comment you left me, being accountable to myself is sooooo important. I think sometime we get so tied up in others approvel. I never looked at it like that!! Thanks!!

Felicia said...

We had the best chinese food this past weekend also. OMGOSH it was good. Glad I had a check valve lol as I just wanted to eat eat eat it. I love food to. Heck who doesnt right!!

Sounds like you have awesome goals for the month. I am positive you will reach them all. Best wishes on your challenges.

You are such an inspiration!!

*SUPER BIG HUGS*
=0)

JC said...

OH, what a beautiful lily. They are my favorite. Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment. I am going to Israel. One week from today. I've been anticipating this trip since January. Going with a church group, doing the Christian tour thing and mission work. We aren't sure that we will be allowed to visit some site because of unrest in the area or it being under Palestinain (sp?) control. I'm be doing a lot of post about it and pictures. I've met a lady through blogging who lives in the western hills of Jersuleum. I'm hopeful to meet her while we are there. Thanks again for coming by. I'll get more weight watcher blog oriented when I get back. JC

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful pix! Glad you enjoyed the weekend. Here are the links to the exercises I'm doing from Ms Fit's site for the arms:

http://mizfitonline.com/2008/04/28/monday-facetime-11/

http://mizfitonline.com/2008/03/24/monday-facetime-6/

http://mizfitonline.com/2008/03/17/monday-facetime-5/

http://mizfitonline.com/2008/03/10/monday-facetime-4/

RunningNan said...

Ok ok.. you twisted my arm.. I'll start that once my sunburn has subsided!

Chubby Chick said...

I agree. Having the occasional treat every now and then is not going to totally sabotage us. Moderation is the key... not deprivation.

I had Chinese food over the weekend, too. A lot of us bloggers did. What's up with that? lol

And what beautiful lilies! I love flowers. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

saw your comment about the exercise links (I KNOW. my site is in a bit of an upheaval :))

Im doing a post with em all organized next week BUT if you want em now just click the category on the right of MONDAY FACE TIME and youre there!
email me if it's still confusing.

M.

Manuela said...

Thanks Diva and Mizfit--I'll be checking those out soon!

Pattie said...

The lily is beautiful! What a gorgeous color. If you get the chance, check out Becky's blog. She posted some beautiful shots of the lilies in her garden, too. Such a beautiful flower! http://iwasthinking-huskerbeck.blogspot.com/2008/07/front-yard-and-lillies-lillies-lillies.html

Manuela, thank you for your kind comment on my blog. You're SO right: the process starts in our head before it ever gets near our stomach! Thank you for being such a motivating example to me, and a dear blogging friend. :-)

Big Girl said...

Good luck in you July goals and I agree we have to remember that we are in charge. That's so hard to remember sometimes.

Love the lily, it's absolutely beautiful.

tas said...

Great for you to lose... not just maintain... over all the BBQ and home made goodies. Aren't holidays just fun! We had a great time with family over the 4th of July. Love your lilies. i'm looking forward to rescueing my garden from the weeds now that i have landed at home again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Manuela,

Best wishes with your July goals and the 100 push ups challenge -- that is very ambitious! Loved the picture of Snoopy on your other post!

Best wishes,
Sharon

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful lily!

You are doing such a great gob with losing weight and getting healthy.

Heather said...

congrats on your loss! that is such an accomplishment after the weekend.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I'm organizing-deficient, too! :)

Congrats on the loss! I'm so glad your weekend was so enjoyable!

ptg said...

Sounds like your goals are totally doable and something to reach for! My abs weren't too sore from the pushups, but my arms certainly were...tomorrow is "day 2" so we'll see how it goes!!

Anonymous said...

I adore lilies.

and your goals.

but back to the lilies.


I adore.

Miz.

Grace Acres said...

I cheated as well, but I didn't gain, but I didn't lose either. I was with my canadian family this 4rth and we enjoyed hearing the ayes. LOL

Linda said...

What a gorgeous lily!! Life would be no fun if we could not have a lil treat now and then. I had a small handful of chips with dip. But what made it better was that I actually controlled myself from eating more.
Have a great week.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Wow, you are doing an awesome job and are so close to your goal! Congrats on that! I totally agree on the organization being a harder task than losing weight. :-)

You go on the push up challenge! I can't do push ups. I have a weak joint in my right wrist so I can't do a lot of weight bearing on it.
Path to Health