Thursday, April 24, 2008

"I Am Woman Hear Me Mow..."

Wow, what a week I've been having. There is nothing like beautiful weather to just get you in the mood to go, go, go!

On Tuesday I looked out at my lawn and decided that it would be the day to drag out my mower from hibernation. I filled it with clean oil and went to buy my oh so expensive gas. It started up with very little trouble. Actually, I've been considering getting a manual, good old-fashioned push mower. Gas ones are SO bad for the environment. I'll have to see my money situation. I'll also edged it (which I HATE). The next day I turned over the soil for my vegetable patch and added 3 lovely bags of manure. Today I finished with the soil in my flower beds and added some topsoil. I'll probably get to my composter tomorrow and clean it out. I have two which I switch back and forth so one is always ready to use.

I've also done well with my exercise. Some of you may have noticed the calendar I have at my sidebar. I love seeing that so much of it is highlighted! That's where I keep track of exactly what I've done and for how long. Today I actually managed to run for 8 minutes straight, twice, with a 5 minute run and 3 minute walks to break it up. But when I looked to the third day of this week I said "What?" "20 minutes with no walking?" I don't think so! When Saturday comes we'll see how I'm doing but I have to tell you I barely pushed through that last 8.

Some of you may know that every now and again on Fridays I'll post a joke if I get one. I got another good one in the mail from my friend and I'll share it with you tonight.

Lawyers should never ask a Mississippi grandma a question if they aren't prepared for the answer.

In a trial, a Southern small-town prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly, elderly woman to the stand. He approached her and asked, 'Mrs. Jones, do you know me?' She responded, 'Why, yes, I do know you, Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a boy, and frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, and you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you're a big shot when you haven't the brains to realize you'll never amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you.'
The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do, he pointed across the room and asked, 'Mrs. Jones, do you know the defense attorney?'She again replied, ' Why yes, I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster, too. He's lazy, bigoted, and he has a drinking problem. He can't build a normal relationship with anyone, and his law practice is one of the worst in the entire state. Not to mention he cheated on his wife with three different women. One of them was your wife. Yes, I know him.'
The defense attorney nearly died.
The judge asked both counselors to approach the bench and, in a very quiet voice, said, 'If either of you idiots asks her if she knows me, I'll send you both to the electric chair.'

11 comments:

HappyBlogChick said...

I felt the EXACT same way about my 20 minute run. EXACTLY. I figured there was no way. But ... well, read my post: http://anotherfitnessblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/couch-to-5k-week-5-done-oh-hell-yeah.html

Good job on your run, and funny joke!

Hanlie said...

Gardening is wonderful exercise for preventing osteoporosis! Well done!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

About halfway through your post, you said, "I've also done well with my exercise." I had to laugh, because you had already listed more yard chores in a week than I've done in five years. LOL Good for you!

Congrats on the run!!!

Oh, and thanks for the cute joke!

RunningNan said...

I need to mow too... I'm usually on top of these things, but I'm waiting for rain to really drive that fertilizer in, then I'll mow. Thankfully, it's going to rain this afternoon, and if I'm lucky, I'll mow after work! Love the joke!

RunningNan said...

I need to mow too... I'm usually on top of these things, but I'm waiting for rain to really drive that fertilizer in, then I'll mow. Thankfully, it's going to rain this afternoon, and if I'm lucky, I'll mow after work! Love the joke!

Susie said...

I am so impressed with your green thumb! Even mowing..fertilizing..gardening!! Definitely on my to do list..one of these days..months..years..Nice job with the exercise!!Keep pushing it! Have a great weekend!

Grumpy Chair said...

Great job on the exercise. I envy you because of your love to work outside. I want to but just hate the "nature" part (lizards and garter snakes).

RunningNan said...

Thanks to you I mowed last night!

Erin said...

One of the good/bad things about living in an apartment is the lack of yard to mow, however it also means lack of space for garden. I totally envy you for being able to work so much on your yard. Thanks for the cute story!

Diana Swallow said...

You're doing such a great job!! Thanks for the ha ha!

Anonymous said...

Funny joke hehe!