Friday, August 21, 2009

Busy Bee, That's Me!

Well, 3 of my little students are on vacation this week so I haven't had much tutoring. I have, however, kept busy with a lot of baking. We're serving lunch at my church this Sunday and I always like to have homemade goodies on hand. It's the only opportunity where I can try new recipes and not have them sit around the house waiting for me to eat them up! (all my friends are on vacation too so nobody to come over for coffee!)

So, I've been trying my hand at making baked goods using yeast. You know, I think I'm a natural. I LOVE working the dough with my hands, smelling the yeast as I mix up the ingredients, waiting for it to rise and then all the fun of kneading it. I have made Caramel Pecan Rolls (oh, were they good!), Orange Crescents (these are delicious if you like citrus) and I do and awesome pizza dough. I also made Lemon Nut cookies, Maple Vanilla Chip cookies, and tomorrow is a chocolate cake. All these recipes come from Taste of Home, my all time favourite collection for recipes.

What I'm really happy with is that all the baking has not had an effect on my eating. I'm pleased to say I've had one of each item just to see how they taste and have not been tempted to go for more. I don't know if it's just working with it that makes me not want to eat it or what. This is a great hobby for me and another reason for any school board to want me on their staff--think of the great coffee breaks :)

Here's hoping that you're all having a great day and enjoy the coming weekend!

9 comments:

Hanlie said...

I think there's definitely a knack to baking bread! Well done for not indulging!

Katie J ♥ said...

Sounds yummers! Good job on avoiding that temptation. They are going to love them.

SL said...

Off to check out the recipe for those lemon cookies. Yumm. Although I better not. I'd be better off making something I'm not so crazy about (like lemon)!

JC said...

Yea You!!! I would have eaten them all right out of the oven.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Hmmm, all that baking and yet...no package of baked goods in my mailbox. :(

The few times I made yeast bread, I loved working with the dough. So relaxing...

Beth in NC said...

Ohhh, I can't bake and not taste. Therefore, I rarely bake. But GOOD FOR YOU that you can! Woo hoo! :o)

Natalia said...

I have never baked with yeast. My hubby has tried to make bread before with yeast and it comes out to hard!

Sounds like a great hobby for you!!! :)

MB said...

I would never be able to resist all that. It all sounds yummy. Hope you're enjoying the summer.

Trainer Momma said...

I have several great recipes on my blog -- check them out!


www.trainermomma.blogspot.com