Friday, July 25, 2008

Swingin' Friday

Last week, I was at the end of a run when I passed by a small park not far from my house. I was sweaty and tired but I saw those swings and just had to go over. I cannot REMEMBER the last time I sat on swings! These were the u-shaped ones that squish the thighs (thank goodness there is less of them ;) ) but despite a bit of discomfort I started to swing away. You know, there must be some benefit to getting your legs and body into giving you the momentum. All I know is that I felt so free swinging higher and higher, trying to touch the sky. This picture reminds me of my sister and myself because we were always in the park when we were growing up and loved being on the swings and teeter totter.

Katschi had a good post on childhood activities. I can remember playing outside all day long. Any T.V. watching was usually Saturday morning cartoons (which were so much BETTER in the 70's!) then it was off to the park behind our house. We'd walk all over the place, stop at the candy store for gumballs or freezies and sit around talking, playing, having fun without the aid of electronic gaming devices! So, what are you waiting for, go swing yourself!

Thanks to everyone for the comments on my birds. Hope I wasn't too silly--it's just that I'd grown attached to the little guys and loved watching them grow so quickly! Lora asked if I had removed the bird from the nest or if the father did. It is still there, as far as I know, and I thought I'd let nature take it's course. I don't have the heart (or stomach) to do it myself.

One final note was a shopping find that I thought I'd share. I went to the States with a girlfriend on Wednesday and one of the things I really wanted to get was another Lunaire sports bra. If you need support for your activities this is the bra for you. I LOVE IT! Nothing moves and I'm not exactly petite. The price is reasonable too at $35 (online as little as $32). They provide a wonderful shape and don't give the pancake look that so many other sports bras do.

So, there you have it. Go to the park and get yourself a new bra! Nah, whatever you're doing this weekend have a great time and JUST DO IT!

15 comments:

Lora said...

I've seen that Katschi commerical and I love it! You're right - when we were kids we stayed outside all day long!

Anonymous said...

I write this with all fear of sounding like a total NERD :)

yep. core work. legs exercise and if you pump hard enough theres some cardio in them thar swings :)

happy weekend.

and I really am OFF to the PARK with my Toddler.
we shall swingeth in your name.

Miz.

Carole Burant said...

Gosh, I don't know when's the last time I've been on a swing! Like you, my childhood was spent going to the playground that was up our street and spending the day swinging, going on the monkey bars and slide:-) Mom wouldn't see us all day long except for dinner time! lol Thanks for bringing back so many delightful memories!! xoxo

MaryFran said...

Sooooo right! The great outdoors held such fascination and fun when I was a kid, that I spent as much time as I could roaming around outside. Of course this weight didn't come on until AFTER I stopped roaming and playing around outside!

ANd they wonder why our children are getting bigger, dangerously bigger! How about we take away the tv and video games and go back to the good old fashioned 'play outside' stuff!

Donnalouise said...

i was on my bike all the time as a kid - sadly now, I don't even own one.

Maggie Ann said...

Swinging is very special, isn't it! I'm always wanting my husband to fix our old rope swing out back.

Diana Swallow said...

When I was a little girl I lived in the country but right next to the elementary school. I'd ride my bike endlessly around that parking lot and play at the playground all day. We'd hike in the woods and run up and down the hills. The swing was one of my favorite things, I always loved the feeling of flying. Thanks for taking back to my childhood.

MB said...

I used to love the cartoons on Saturday mornings ... especially the Looney Tunes.

I think I'm going to hit the park on the way home from the hospital and see if I can swing a little.

I'll have to check out those bras too. I haven't found any that give good support without the flattened pancake look.

Girls just want to have fun ...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Ohhh I love to swing. Sounds like so much fun. Oh and the bra looks nice.

JC said...

Love this picture. It makes me smile and daydream. I'm glad to be home and catching up on bloging.

RunningNan said...

And how did your abs fee?

Anonymous said...

Gotta love swinging!! That sounds like so much fun! And BTW- saturday morning cartoons from the 80's were pretty good too, after that, it all went down hill!! =D

Pattie said...

My walking buddies (who have all moved away!) and I did the same thing earlier this year. After we walked around the park, we got on the swings and had a ball!

Who says exercise has to be boring?? Well, ok - I do -- but I'm working on changing my attitude!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely thoughts. :) The swingset was always my favourite playground feature. I could swing for hours. Now my husband laughs at me because I pout that they don't have any teen/adult/STURDY swings locally.

:) Thank you for the pleasant memories.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the lead on the bra....I have an Enell right now but it certainly gives the 'unaboob' look plus they are bloody expensive!

How fun re: swinging. I bought a hula hoop last week and have been having fun with that. Next time I'm at the park, I'll be swinging and thinking of you.