Thursday, June 12, 2008

Know Your Limits

It's a beautiful morning, although it promises to get quite warm today. I'm off to pick strawberries but wanted to post a short thought this morning.

Yesterday I woke up early feeling wonderful and thought that I'd try for another run. My previous attempt was on a warm, muggy morning and left me feeling tired and irritable. I started off really well. It was warm but the humidity hadn't gotten too high yet. After about 10 minutes I started feeling breathless, just like the last time. I was getting warm and NOT enjoying the experience. Somehow I managed to push through a 25 minute run but I just didn't have fun.

I'm beginning to think that I'll never be a true runner. Maybe it's the warm weather--who knows. I was bored and irritable even though I had my music going. I've decided that my outdoor exercise will consist of biking and walking early or late in the day. I'll have another go, maybe, with the running and see how it is.

Is there anything you prefer to do? Or do you make yourself do things that are supposed to be good for you even though you hate them? I think it's good to be able to accept that we can't do EVERYTHING and need to set limits for ourselves. As long as you're doing something, it's all a positive move forward.

And now, off to the strawberries!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we all have to find an activity that suits us.

Personally I like swimming more than I do jogging, even though the *appeal* of jogging is its immediate availability -- stick on your trainers and trot outside.

Swimming means I have to *plan* to go to the leisure centre, pack my swims, take time to get there, get changed, swim 30 lengths, dry and change again, and then take bus back to my flat.

But I still like it *wayyyyy* more than jogging, so have to make the time sacrifice.

Manuela said...

Funny you mention swimming because that's exactly what I'll be starting to do this week.

You're right about the planning but, it is a good exercise because there is less stress on EVERY part of our bodies.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Mmmmm, strawberries. :)

I love what you say here about accepting that we can't do EVERYTHING. The trick, I think, is to just keep trying different things. That's also the joy in it.

Have a juicy, delicious day!

Diana Swallow said...

I prefer to eat strawberries all day long!

I enjoy swimming and I was once an avid bike rider. I think that once I lose enough weight to ride a bike again, that will probably be one of the things I enjoy.

Have a few berries for me!

Felicia said...

I have not found an exercise yet that I like to do. I like to be outside working in the yard and taking an occasional walk or bike ride but not much has said "oh yes this is it". I think its probably more important to just be out doing period no matter what it is we are doing.

Have fun picking strawberries!! Our Strawberry Festival is this weekend so I hope to pick up some yummy strawberries to eat. OK that and they have like a 60 foot long strawberry short cake HAHAHA YUMO!

Have a wonderful day!
*huggles*
=0)

Pattie said...

I agree with Cammy: the main thing is to mix up what you do, so your body doesn’t adapt.

And it's gotta be fun. Life is too short not to do what we love!

Eat a strawberry today for me, will you? YUM!

RunningNan said...

Maybe you are underfueled, or dehydrated. I had a terrible run like you mentioned yesterday, and i was suffering from one of those two things! Todays run was fantastic!

Hopefully, it's just something that you need to find your groove with.. Biking is excellent as is walking!

Unknown said...

Running and fun can go in the same sentence? I am not sure I would ever enjoy running, maybe someday I will find out.

I would love swimming the most but I'm not putting on a bathing suit at the Y, just yet...it's just not happening.

Nicole said...

I.

Hate.

Running.

I will blame this on the fact that I had to run my ass off when I was in the Marine Corps. That usually keeps people off my back, but the truth is that I hated it even before I joined. I absolutely despise it and refuse to do it. Period.

Now, walking...I LOVE walking. Yeppers, I'll stick with that. :o)

RunningNan said...

I actually find the skort cooler to run in... the biker shorts ride up a bit, but my thighs are big... plus, with the skirt, you can't see it!

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to think that I'll never be a true runner

that is 100% me.
no matter how much I wish it werent true.
I still run sometimes---but it's not my GO TO cardio.

M.