Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Finish What You Start

It was a busy weekend! Much of it was spent in taking care of the strawberries. They froze beautifully! They'll be wonderful to have in the winter and I know that there are no pesticides in them. I also tried my hand for the first time at jam making. I quartered them and only mashed them a bit leaving it nice and chunky. I used half the sugar most recipes require and added pectin to make sure it thickened up alright and it too turned out great. I'm thinking of going out again today--I'll see how I feel after breakfast.

Now, you may be wondering what that picture is all about in this post. Well, it ties in with the title of today's post "Finish What You Start". I was having lunch with a girlfriend on Sunday. She's an avid knitter and is always making something for someone. She asked me if I had finished my project. What's my project you might ask? Oh well, I'm a cross-stitcher from many moons ago. My sister got me started on it 20 years ago and from my very first pattern I was hooked. I went into it whole hog. Not for me the simple little patterns. No, I went in for the large, complicated projects that took months, sometimes a year, to finish.

Well, I've finished all my patterns except for what you're looking at today. That blank space is all that is left of an enormous pattern of a famous piece of art. When it's unwrapped and I look at what I've done I'm amazed at the detail and broad range of colours that are in it. Come back tomorrow and I'll unwrap a bit more of it for you.

So, another goal for this summer is to finish that project. The HYC is going well for me and I've lost 2 more inches this past week. No weight but I feel great. I don't want to let the numbers rule me and I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. I won't quit and I'll finish this "me" project too.

Is there something that you have sitting around waiting to be finished? If so, what's holding you back?

Let's finish what we start and have a great time doing it!

*SPECIAL NOTE: Simple math problem that I solved this week. Manuela+Heat/Humidity=Bad Run. I actually tried running again and had great runs yesterday and Sunday. Yesterday was the farthest I've ever run and I felt great! No humidity and it was cool so that may very well have been the problem. Nan, tried the skort and I didn't like it. Too clingy for me. Guess I'll stick with my shorts :)

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Grats on the run.

I have a bunch of projects that have gone unfinished. I have a lot of scrapbooking that needs to be finished. I have the outside of my house to finish painting. I have that box of stuff I throw things into because I'm just not sure where to put it.

So many projects, so little time.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Ooh, I can't wait to see your finished project!

I have a million and five unfinished projects. It's an area of my life I'm also working on along with fitness. I'm convinced it's all tied together somehow. :)

Pattie said...

Your cross-stitch looks lovely! I can't wait to see the whole thing. I do cross stitch, too. But I'm kind of a hit and miss sticher, meaning I do it gung-ho for a year, then put it all away and pick it up three years later. So I have lots of UFOs (unfinished objects!) Quilting UFOs, too – but I’m working on those.

Irish Mom said...

I used to cross stitch, I actually might have a pattern I started years ago and never finished. I'll have to look for it!!

Girl with a Problem said...

Thanks for that challenge, I definitely need to apply it to my own life. I am famous for not finishing what I have started. Then I was thinking that hasn't been true with my WW and fitness this time. So maybe that means I've turned a corner with that problem? Anyway, I'm going to make an action item to make a list of things I need to finish.

Congrats on the inches lost and the fine jam. Thanks for the much needed kick in the butt about finishing what I started.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the inches! Your cross stitch looks very pretty. I have signed on to make blankets for babies in nicu. I hope to finish what I start, especially for such a good cause.

Grumpy Chair said...

Well, I will anxiously be waiting for the next wee little glimpse of your masterpiece.

Now you are set for months and months with the strawberries. How fun it will be to spread some of your strawberry jam this coming fall/winter and be able to relive that wonderful day of picking the strawberries. I want to make fig preserves but have not been successful in finding any fresh figs.

I too, was a cross stitcher many moons ago, but once I had the kiddos, put it away. Need to rethink that and start it back up.

RunningNan said...

damn... send it my way. I love them. I actually run better since I don't hurt my shins!

I love cross stitching.. Havne't done it in forever.. but they are fun!

Anonymous said...

I have another 'Elisa's Nest Tote' to sew up. I've been using my sitting time blogging or reading blogs lately but I must get that done soon.

I can't wait to see more of your project!

Anonymous said...

PS: I would love to see your clematis flowers! I had to dig up the one clematis we had ('Betty Balfour'). Our season isn't long enough for it. I put in a 'jackmanii' instead. Those are thriving all over the place in this area. It's doing well but isn't blooming yet.

Big Girl said...

I have TONS of projects that I've started and tons of other projects that I want to start. I mostly set them aside because I get all excited about something new to do. But like you've said, I need to finish what I've started.

Congrats on the good runs!

Lora said...

yep-your math equation makes perfect sense! Congrats on the 40 minutes - that is totally awesome!

Heather said...

I think that is a great philosophy as for most of us, we will be working on ourselves for a long time and to give up would just be silly at this point! great job this week!

Rebeca said...

mmmm that sounds yummy, send some over here :D

I have three of those started that are just sitting stagnant in the back of my closet... I can't wait to see what it is!!!!

Congrats on the inches btw!

R

Grace Acres said...

I have an unfinished project that i started when I was 15 and it is still at my moms even. I think I will go get it and start working on it. i will be making strawberry jam too, I am using xylitol instead of sugar and using sugar free pectin. We'll see how it goes. By the way great on 2 inches lost, You have got to be feeling pretty great by now.

Grace Acres said...

you've been tagged. Come see me at todays tagged post.

kikimonster said...

I'm like that with crocheting. I started a blanket in 2006 that I don't think I ever finished. To tell you the truth... I don't know where it is!

Sounds like we're in the same place with our inches lost/no weight loss. But it's still a good thing