Friday, March 7, 2008

Embrace Yourself


Happy Friday everyone!


I've been reading a lot of blogs lately (being unemployed does have the advantage of giving you FAR TOO MUCH FREE TIME!) Quite a few have had stories that dealt with body image--either the blogger's own concept or the one that society places on us, particularly women. I really thought this would be a good time to share a story about the attitude of some people.


After I left my job at Chrysler, I took a part-time position as a sales associate at a high-end women's clothing store. I worked (left the job last week, but that's another story!) with an interesting assortment of women. We were different ages, some single, some married, some thin, some average and some quite heavy.


One of the part-time girls shared a story with the rest of us about a customer she waited on. Now, I have to say that this girl is one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet. She has a bubbly personality, is very friendly and sincerely wants to help the customer find the right pieces for their wardrobe. If you've ever worked in retail you may know how tough this is, especially if you have sales quotas that need to be met. Well, this customer was not very pleasant. She was thinner than the sales girl but not by that much. This gal had a hard time finding something for this woman. Can't remember but I think she was looking for pants (sometimes impossible to fit perfectly). She brought the woman a pair of pants in a size 10--can't remember the reason for this, it may have been the only pair in that style.


Well, apparently the customer was very insulted. "What do these designer's think, that we're all obese and wearing size 10's or bigger?" OBESE?!?!?!?!?!?!? Well, this poor girl was stunned. "I'm a size 10. You think that I'm obese?" The woman didn't even have the decency to apologize and just walked away, looking just the tiniest bit embarassed by her comment. Believe me, plenty of people would LOVE to look like our size 10 sales girl.


What do you say to people who have the attitude that a normal size 10 is obese? Where did they get the notion that that is an abnormal size? Is it from the mags that show models who are wearing size 0's? COME ON, who wants to be a size 0?


I think it's important to remember why we're doing this challenge, whether we're trying to lose a pesky 5-20 pounds or a seemingly insurmountable number like 100-200 pounds. We want to be healthy! We want to feel good about ourselves when we go out with family and friends. We want to be able to shop for clothes and feel good when we put them on. Reason after reason after reason for why we're doing this.


Don't let people like that woman bring you down. Love yourself and know that you will get to a place you need to be. If you're a size 2--fabulous! If you're a 12--hey, good for you! If you're a 16--fantastic! It's not about numbers, it's about feeling healthy and loving you for who you are.


Embrace your curves and look forward to spring and summer no matter what size you are!


Love and well wishes always!

11 comments:

Chubby Chick said...

OMG... if I was a size 10, I would feel anorexic! Seriously. lol At my size, a 20 or 18 sounds good! And I would be absolutely thrilled to fit in a 16 or 14!

Great post! It really is sad that some people feel that a size 10 is "obese" and size 0 is "normal" or to be desired. It seems like there are a lot of women in Hollywood lately who are extremely thin, and it's scary... because a lot of women and teens are looking to that as their ideal.

Me said...

What?! Size 10 is not obese! I've give my left boob to be a size 10!

Anonymous said...

LOL I don't even ASPIRE to a size 10. My 14 year old daughter wears a 12! Why do these people A) attach so much importance to a number and B) think being stick thin is healthy?

Heather said...

its sad that size 10 would be considered obese to someone! especially since most americans are now 12-14s and that is still considered plus size too. you are right though, its not about the number at all.

Hanlie said...

I don't give a hoot what size clothes I'll be wearing, as long as I can find them in normal stores. Furthermore I don't give a hoot what I'll weigh, as long as my body is toned, strong and under 25 BMI.

Lynn said...

"I'd give my left boob to be a size 10"

Heh, my left boob IS a size 10!

And you know the worst thing? the size 10 PROBABLY would have fit ms. Imma Wench!

Susie said...

Size 10 sounds good to me...I wish I could embrace my curves and look forward to spring and summer..but I just can't..maybe in a few more lbs. Stay positive..it's nice to hear . :)

Anonymous said...

It depends on your size. I'm one of these people that are on the healthy you challenge that here to lose the last 15 pounds or on maintenance. I'm 5'2". I'm currently in a size 10 by some designers. Sizes are variable. We shouldn't measure ourselves by size or weight.

I'll probably be in a size 4 or 6 jeans at goal and that would be great. I would never think a size 10 is obese. For me, it's a little chunky, but as I said I'm small. For a taller girl, a size 14 or 16 might be a good goal size. It depends on your build.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I think some people just need to make themselves feel better than, and what a sad, sad way to do it. What empty lives they must have...

Anonymous said...

size 10 = obese?

Shyeah, okay! What a tart!

Anonymous said...

size 10, huh? I will be lucky to ever see size 10 but I am ok with that. It's going to be about how I feel and how I feel I look. Screw them! And no, I am not giving up my left boob although as I lose more weight I might be giving up both of them *sob